Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Moment of Reflection at the Church of Ayios Titos

I don't know anything about this church except that Pris and I kept finding ourselves in front of it.

It was on the map, so I took photos (still trying to figure out how to upload photos without a desktop).

I'm not a religious person, but I've always enjoyed being inside sacred places and had a fascination with other people's faiths. When I was younger, I pretended I was Christian and attended services at other people's churches (the Greenawalt's throughout much of childhood) or would show up randomly for Christmas or Easter traditions (often the Kothe's). I played games and tried to fit in at the weekly JAM (Jesus and Me) sessions at the cool kid church in elementary school, and I sang along to the hymns in chapel every morning during high school.

I pretended to be Jewish in my last relationship, perfecting my rugelach recipe and helping host seders for Passover. I've learned to love Jewish baked goods. Sometimes I find myself craving hamantaschen.

When I go inside beautiful places of worship, I actually don't think about God that much. After all these years of trying on other people's religions, He's still kind of a foreign concept to me. Instead I think about the people who have filled these places in the past, and what it means for them. I really admire their devotion and am just grateful that such beauty can come from that. It's such a shame that it doesn't always end up that way though.

Anyway, that day I thought of a fine lady who I think was responsible for one of my last visits to church -- my dearest friend Julia. The BU Gospel Choir can put on a mean show. So I lit a candle in her honor and said my thanks for all the beauty her faith can bring her and for all the joy and laughter she brings to me.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment